Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe – Love and Lemons
You’ll love this moist, fudgy chocolate zucchini bread recipe! Made with whole wheat flour & lots of zucchini, it’s super delicious & secretly healthy.
Earlier this week, I wrote about my seasonal love affair with zucchini. When it’s at its peak, I add zucchini to all sorts of savory summer recipes – pasta, pizza, lasagna, and soup, to name a few – but I absolutely cannot let zucchini season pass by without using it in sweet recipes, too. This year, moist, fudgy chocolate zucchini bread has been my sweet zucchini recipe obsession.
This double chocolate zucchini bread recipe is based on the chocolate zucchini muffins from our first cookbook. While I love that recipe, I wanted to make a version that worked well as a loaf for slicing and enjoying with a morning latte or afternoon coffee. This super easy, delicious recipe came out better than I could have imagined – it has a perfect cakey crumb, delectable moist texture, and rich chocolate flavor. Like my traditional zucchini bread recipe, this one makes two loaves. We gobble them up pretty quickly at our house, but if you have extra, pop one loaf in the freezer for another day, or share it with a friend!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe Ingredients
My chocolate zucchini bread is rich, moist, and perfectly spiced, but it’s secretly healthy, too! Here’s what I use to make this delightful summer treat:
- Flour – A mix of white and whole wheat flour gives it a perfect moist texture and a little whole grain power.
- Baking powder & baking soda – They make the bread nice & puffy.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg – They add a lovely spiced contrast to the chocolate.
- Sea salt – I add a dash to highlight the rich chocolate flavor.
- Maple syrup – I swap maple syrup for granulated or brown sugar, so this healthy chocolate zucchini bread is refined sugar-free!
- Eggs – They help the bread rise and add richness.
- Almond milk – I use it instead of dairy milk to make this chocolate zucchini bread wonderfully moist.
- Coconut oil – I use a scant ¼ cup of melted coconut oil to make the bread rich, but not too decadent.
- Vanilla – A healthy 2 teaspoons adds depth to the spiced chocolatey flavor.
- Zucchini – I grate mine on the largest holes of a box grater to get the best moist, zucchini-flecked texture!
- Chocolate chips – I don’t recommend skimping on these guys! They make the inside of the bread super fudgy and delicious, and I sprinkle some on top too.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Mix together the dry ingredients, whisk together the wet ingredients, and gently stir the dry mixture into the wet. Fold in the chocolate chips, pour the batter into two pans, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe Tips
- Be careful not to overmix! As with all baking recipes that use wheat flour, overmixing the batter will make the bread dense. Stir until everything is just combined to get soft, moist & puffy loaves.
- Use two packed cups of zucchini. The zucchini is essential for adding moisture, so pack your cups full! Skimping on it will yield a dryer final loaf.
- Bake once, eat twice. This recipe makes two loaves. I like to enjoy one right away and slice and freeze the other for quick breakfasts or whenever I have a chocolate zucchini bread craving.
- Try changing it up! Swap half the chocolate chips for chopped walnuts or dried tart cherries. Or, if you have it on hand, use yellow squash in place of the zucchini. Let me know what variations you try!
More Favorite Quick Breads and Cakes
If you love this chocolate zucchini bread, try one of these yummy baking recipes next:
And for more zucchini recipes, check out this post.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Serves 16 (makes 2 loaves)
You’ll love this moist, fudgy chocolate zucchini bread! Made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and lots of zucchini, this recipe is super delicious and secretly healthy.
- 1¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1¼ all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups almond milk, room temp
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, more for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray two 8×4” loaf pans with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir in the zucchini. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the loaf pans. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the tops spring back to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
*I like to use Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour