Mercifully – and rather too late – the ITF and the Tokyo Olympic organizers have pushed back the start time for the tennis event to 3 p.m. Tokyo time, from 11 a.m.
Which doesn’t mean it’s not going to be just as unbearable at 3 p.m., although the weather should lighten up for the doubles and mixed matches later in the day.
We’re already at the semifinal stage for the women’s singles and the doubles. And Belinda Bencic (along with Novak Djokovic) are the only ones still pulling singles and doubles duty in the tournament.
Elena Vesnina remains in women’s doubles and mixed.
The men’s singles and the mixed are in the quarterfinals.
It’s getting serious.
Ariake Tennis Park Centre Court (3 p.m. start – 2 a.m. EDT)
1.  BENCIC Belinda (SUI) vs.  RYBAKINA Elena (KAZ)
2.  DJOKOVIC Novak (JPN) vs. NISHIKORI Kei (JPN)
3.  SVITOLINA Elina (CZE) vs VONDROUSOVA Merketa (CZE)
1. DJOKOVIC Novak / STOJANOVIC Nina (SRB) vs. SIEGEMUND Laura / KRAWIETZ Kevin (GER)
Ariake Tennis Park Court 1
1.  KHACHANOV Karen (RUS) vs.  HUMBERT Ugo (FRA)
2.  MEDVEDEV Daniil (RUS) vs.  CARRENO BUSTA Pablo (ESP)
3.  ZVEREV Alexander (GER) vs. CHARDY Jeremy (FRA)
4. SWIATEK Iga / KUBOT Lukasz (POL) vs. VESNINA Elena / KARATSEV Aslan (RUS)
Ariake Tennis Park Court 2
1. DANIELL Marcus / VENUS Michael (NZL) vs. CILIC Marin / DODIG Ivan (CRO)
2.  PAVLYUCYENKOVA Anastasia / RUBLEV Andrey (ROC) vs. SHIBAHARA Ena / McLACHLAN Ben (JPN)
3.  SAKKARI Maria / TSITSIPAS Stefanos (GRE) vs. BARTY Ashleigh / PEERS John (AUS)
Ariake Tennis Park Court 3
1.  KREJCIKOVA Barbora / SINIAKOVA Katerina (CZE) vs. KUDERMETOVA Veronika / VESNINA Elena (ROC)
2.  MEKTIC Nikola / PAVIC Mate (CRO) vs. KRAJICEK Austin / SANDGREN Tennys (USA)
3. BENCIC Belinda / GOLUBIC Viktorija (SUI) vs. PIGOSSI Laura / STEFANI Luisa (BRA)